Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Summer Fruit Galette...

Another easy recipe using available fruits! I think my fruit, Pluots, were too ripe as the crust sprang a leak and the juices oozed out, (note to self, use a lipped sheet next time). Although it wasn't as pretty as I would have liked it did not last very long. It tasted great, I like Dorie's pie dough, it is easy to roll out. I found my splatter screen was 13" and one of the pot lids was 8 1/2" which made measuring a snap. I decided I needed to make another galette and used nectarines that were firm. This made a much better presentation, but the dough still leaked a bit, not as much as last time. I liked the ginger marmalade, it went well with the fruits I chose. The bottom of the galette stayed crisp, that was nice. This recipe is so easy for Summer parties, I have decided to make 2 double batches of the pie dough and freeze them so I can put one of these together in just a short time after the dough thaws. I may add additional flour to the dough and see if that helps the leaking; will not use as much custard either as that may have contributed to the problem. All in all a VERY good recipe and everyone who received a piece liked it very much. Thank you to Michelle in Colorado Springs, for a winner!
























5 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Even if it sprung a leak, it looks tasty. Pluots and ginger preserves sound delicious.

Pamela said...

The pie dough is incredibly tasty. It didn't last long here, either! Nice job.

The DeLadurantey Sisters said...

Ginger preserves sound lovely!

Jules Someone said...

That looks delicious! I like your idea of pre-making and freezing the dough. I may have to do that....

Barbara said...

Oh, that looks so delicious! Glad you liked it!