Sunday, July 5, 2009

SMS Brown Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream with Hot Fudge Sauce.....

My intention was to make just a half version of this recipe but then I got that "look" from DH and decided to make the full version! My reason, to make the smaller amount, is purely selfish; I am competing at the Masters Nationals Bodybuilding and Figure Competition in Pittsburgh in two weeks and I can't have ANYTHING that's not on my diet, waaaaaaa!! I am now doing two hours of cardio a day, eat 1200 calories (a day) and must eat fish at 8:00 AM, yuck. But, it is only for two more weeks, so if I don't post for awhile, that's what is going on. Anyway I digress, back to the ice cream; WOW, DH has eaten about half of the container, gave it two thumbs up and wants more!!! The custard took longer than 5 to 10 minutes to come to 185 degrees in the double boiler and I had to put it in a sauce pan, whisk like hell and the custard finally thickened. Worth the effort and it was really an easy recipe; I added about 2 tablespoons (heaping) of Skore toffee bits just before the ice cream was done churning, very yummy, according to DH of course. I made the Hot Fudge Sauce with no issues except it was very thick and I needed to reheat it to pour over the ice cream; another thumbs up from DH!!!

A big thank you to Karen of Karen's Cookies Cakes & More for a perfect recipe for the 4th of July!

9 comments:

Megan said...

I hope you indulge in the ice cream once the competition is over! It's definitely worth it!

Good luck in the competition!

Flourchild said...

Yum that picture really made me want some ice cream. Im giving away an apron if you are interested! Enjoy your treats!!

k.a.r.e.n said...

Thanks for making this with me. I'm glad your hubs enjoyed it and i hope you will too after your competition. Good luck with that!

Pamela said...

Good luck on the competition. I'm always impressed by such dedication. The ice cream was great, and the hot fudge was super rich. I loved it all.

Sarah said...

Wow, what will-power!!! This ice cream was surprisingly fantastic, so I hope you get to taste it soon! I also started out using the double boiler method and transferring to a sauce pan when 5-10 minutes became more like 30-40!!! Good luck with the competition!

HanaĆ¢ said...

Your ice cream looks delicious. Love the vanilla bean specks.

Good luck with your competition!!! You definitely have to make this ice cream again once the competition is over and indulge :o)

Unknown said...

Your ice cream looks delicious, especially with that hot fudge sauce. Yum!

margot said...

Wow, it would be hard to resist this ice cream! It sounds like it's not going to last in the freezer long enough for you to try. Good luck with your competition, you'll definitely need to celebrate with some treats after it's over.

Anonymous said...

Your ice cream looks great! Hopefully there is still some left for when you come back from your competition.