Sunday, April 19, 2009

Caramel Apple Turnovers with Sweet Ricotta Filling.....

This is my first Sweet Melissa Sundays post and I couldn't have started with anything better! This weeks recipe was chosen by Tracey of Tracey's Culinary Adventures. Sweet Melissa Sundays is similar to Tuesdays with Dorie except you are required to post once a month; you can post every week if you like, just make the recipe of the week and post. The book The Sweet Melissa Baking Book has about 100 recipes and with taking 2 weeks off at Christmas (which is much appreciated), we will be done with the book in two years!!!
I used Trader Joe's puff pastry because, unlike Pepperidge Farms (they use shortening), TJ's uses flour, butter, salt, sugar, and water; I think it is a much better product. You get 2 9"x9" sheets for about $4.99. Instead of cinnamon I used a new spice blend from Penzeys called Cake Spice, it is a combination of cinnamon, star anise, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and cloves. The taste of the spice, out of the jar, is very good; can't wait for DH to give his opinion. Waiting for them to cool..........

These were very good, DH said he would like more apple in it but that was all; the cake spice was delicious, I may put some inside next time. This was a very good and easy recipe; the filling elements can be made up to 3 days in advance and the turnovers can be frozen for several weeks before baking. Would definitely make again!!!

5 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I'm so glad to know about TJ's puff pastry. I knew Pepperidge Farm had the bad stuff, but that's what Fresh Market had and I was a bit pressed for time the day I baked these. Lesson learned for next time! Good to know about Penzey's spice mix; I totally forgot the cinnamon sugar on top. It will be worth playing with this recipe for next time; it is definitely a crowd pleaser and it's nice to have a do-ahead kind dessert!

Unknown said...

I've never tried the TJ's puff pastry but I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the tip. That spice sounds lovely too. I just got my first order from Penzey's and am loving it :) Thanks for baking with me this week!

Anonymous said...

Your turnovers look fantastic. I use TJs puff pastry too. Welcome to the group!

Stephanie said...

MM Cake spice sounds delicious! I wish they had a Trader Joe's by me! They were around where I grew up and I took it forgranted, now I have NO nice grocery stores, UHH! These looks delicious!

HanaĆ¢ said...

Yes, I loved the fact that TJ's puff pastry used *real* butter instead of shortening. What a good idea to use Penzey's cake spice. I initially wanted to add cinnamon to my apple filling but then decided against it, fearing it would not work with orange zest. After tasting the turnovers, I think it would have worked just fine. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make them again :o)