Sunday, January 4, 2009

Another week another Cheesecake.....

I did make another cheesecake last week for New Year's Eve and the texture was much better, more cheesecakeish! I had no problems with Dorie's cheesecake as far as taste, it was very good; my only dissatisfaction was the texture. Dorie's was more silky pudding like, and if you like that in a cheesecake then it was fine. So I reverted to my mom's recipe but without the sour cream topping she used. This cake was great, same wonderful taste from Dorie's but with the more firm cheesecake texture I was looking for; it also cut beautifully without being frozen. I really do enjoy trying different recipes of family favorites, otherwise how do you know if there isn't something better out there?

Mom's Cheesecake

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted


4 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
5 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 Tabl. Vanilla
1/4 cup flour

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C.) Butter a 9 inch springform pan.

2. In a bowl mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto the bottom of the springform pan.

3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in cream and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared pan.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours.

Mom never used a water bath but I really liked Dorie's method and will use it again. I read somewhere that you can use a roasting bag to put your cake in instead of aluminum foil and that pretty much eliminates the leakage problem.

I will be passing on this weeks TWD, the pear tart, I need a break from sweets, and I need to start my cutting program (I will still bake for my DH and friends), beacuse my next show is at the end of March. I bought the pears and will make the tart in a few weeks as a late post; will definately make the Savory Corn Muffins next week. Hope all of you have a Very Happy New Year!

No comments: